Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
PICA aneurysms. case report and review of the literature.pdf (197.56 kB)

PICA aneurysms: case report and review of the literature

Download (197.56 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2023-05-18, 15:25 authored by Aaron Jolly, Shivani Gupta

An aneurysm is defined as a localised dilation of a blood vessel secondary to disease or weakening of the vessel wall. Studies by radiographic and autopsy series on 10 to 15 million people have shown the prevalence of intracranial saccular aneurysms to be about 5% in the United States. Intracranial aneurysms commonly occur at bifurcations and branching points of the large arteries of the Circle of Willis. Approximately 85% of intracranial aneurysms develop in the anterior part of the Circle of Willis, with the remaining 15% found in the vertebrobasilar system. The majority of aneurysms are discovered after an episode of subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH).



The original article is available at Part of the RCSIsmj collection 2007-8

Published Citation

Jolly A, Gupta S. PICA aneurysms: case report and review of the literature. RCSIsmj. 2008;1(1):27-29

Publication Date



  • Undergraduate Research


RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences


  • Published Version (Version of Record)